Friday, September 20, 2013

They Felt Opinionless

Can you imagine being molested or raped off and on for several years by a relative? Could you imagine holding a secret that deep? I couldn't imagine it though many have been through similar situations close to this one I am about to discuss. A 14 year old ,by the name of Ann was living in South Bronx, New York. She was staying with her aunt and uncle for while until she could no longer take the sexual abuse from her cousin. So you know what she did? She ran away.

Like many young women in the U.S. she had to find somewhere else to live, she had to survive. If you knew you had no where to stay would you take housing from a complete stranger? For Ann that's a decision that she made, so she took the man's offer. 450,000 children run away from home and 1/3 of them are teenagers who are approached by a pimp within 48 hours from leaving their home. This situation can particularly happen in New York City, where there is approximately 3,800 children who are living homeless ,though there's only 250 city-financed youth shelters available.

There are organizations that provide services for young men and women who do get caught in human trafficking lifestyles . So you tell me that your heart doesn't go out to many young individuals who face human trafficking,prostitution and sexual abuse everyday. Personally to me I feel human trafficking and sexual abuse is cruel,hatred and just pure evil. I do feel that prostitution isn't the first career job that comes to mind for most folks. What I don't understand is why some people feel the need to use women and children in order to make income to support themselves or their family?

Some young individuals feel that being pimped is the only option they have to survival since its a roof over the head and its a job to supply them money to get food. I wish I could save all the children,women and men who have to face such devastating obstacles such being homeless, being caught in human trafficking and being pimped everyday. A young woman who was a prostitute victim by the name of Adriana stated"I think people need to realize that it's not a choice we make. It's life situations that cause us to do the things we need to do to survive. I feel like people don't stop to realize these are girls. No one wakes up and says' I want to be a prostitute today'."

On that note I leave you with this to ponder over "Just because there may be only one option seen doesn't mean that's the only one there and be careful who you be friend."

<www.nytimes.com>

1 comment:

  1. This has always been a issue that has bothered me, everyone has something to say about the issue but the government does little to help them. I don't agree with what they do at all, but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. Some would say they would never do that but no one really knows what they would actually do in situations like that with no money or place to live.

    ReplyDelete